Joey and I are heading to Chattanooga and Nashville soon to see how we like the cities. We’ve actually visited both cities several times before, but always for an event so we’ll be perusing a few neighborhoods and popping in a few local restaurants and coffee shops this time. I’m pretty excited about a chance to travel a bit. I haven’t been anywhere since I got home from London in July!
2013 has been interesting so far. I’m working on several projects, which has been keeping me a tiny bit preoccupied. These projects mostly translate to $$$ as Pinterest has inspired me to finally decorate. I discovered a nearby flea market/antique mall and have started collecting retro plates in hopes of achieving a beautiful collage like this:
Luckily I’ve been able to find some great plates for cheap, some less than $1! I also have big plans for a photo wall and I’m on the lookout for a few new pieces of furniture. This decorating bug is very out of character for me. I think grad school and having a house on the market was stifling my creative energies so I’m interested to see what I’ll come up with.
Joey and I also had some fabulous house guests pop by. We absolutely love having Matt and Carly when they fly in from California! Matt is one of Joey’s oldest and greatest friends and I am so glad he found his amazing wife Carly because she is so much fun to go shopping with! We hit up some Birmingham shops, Target (which we both absolutely love), World Market, and then we met up with the boys for trivia. Carly blogs at MattandCarlyCross if you want to hear more about their adventures driving across Alabama. I’m afraid I always ask her a million questions about Alabama versus the West Coast whenever they come into town but I just can’t help but wonder if traveling here is a bit of a culture shock! Joey and I hope to visit them in California sometime soon and maybe she’ll turn the tables on me!
Other than those happenings, I’ve made some good starts on my resolutions. I FINALLY picked up my crochet supplies and am learning a few stitches. I’m (so far) keeping up with housework. I’m reading more (book review for The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling coming soon!). And I’m still applying away for jobs and will be scoping out two possible places to move next month. February is going to be busy!
2013 has started off with a bang! I joined my local SLIS book club (cats were mentioned more than the book I think), had some amazing house guests fly in from California, and I’ve found lots of job applications to put in. I’m making some serious effort to get out of the house and break my Netflix addiction.
I’m hoping to find a public library to volunteer at while continuing my job hunt and possibly bump up my time at the local museum. I’ve been invited to speak at my undergrad university about museum studies and archives later in February so I’m going to be a very busy lady! 2013 is my year, I can feel it!
Here are some Librarian Resolutions that everyone can agree to in 2013:
- Finally buy those extra bookshelves you’ve been eyeing. Give those books the proper TLC they deserve.
- Spend more time reading and less time watching tv.
- When watching tv, be sure to be crafting in some way (knitting for the win!)
- Continue giving all your friends and family gifts in book form only.
- And last but not least, be sure to frequent your friendly, neighborhood library as often as possible.
What resolutions are you making this January? Happy New Year everyone!
Happy Holidays everyone! I’m hoping I’ll see a stack like this under my Christmas tree this year!
Wondering what to get that special librarian in your life? Here are a few suggestions for you!
1. Every librarian needs a lovely teapot! And this Target teapot is both adorable and affordable!
2. These lovely earrings are made by Irma of Etsy’s IVCreations. The script is from an 18th Century French document.
3. WOWZA! All librarians are plagued with an overabundance of books and an extreme sense of nostalgia. World Market’s Library Shelves are pretty expensive, but also a librarian’s dream come true.
4. Mr. Rabbit looks quite dashing in this print on book pages or music. Check out Encore Prints for more characters, colors, and options!
5. This adorable 5-Drawer table looks like a blast from the past and would fit adorably in a librarian’s home or office. Once again, it is a World Market creation!
6. Last, but certainly not least, is this adorable kitty sweater by ModCloth. The perfect gift to wear to all those holiday shindigs!
Well, my letter to the Library School Fairy didn’t pan out earlier this year. So I’m crossing my fingers for Christmas.
All I want for Christmas is a kitten! (And maybe two since the Library School Fairy let me down.)
Unemployed Librarian Extraordinaire!